Friday, June 18, 2010

How to Tie a Knot

There are many things I love about this image, but most of all is this rope knots tea towel*.

Elle Decor via Small Place Style

I must have this! I have tracked it down here**, and I may just have to splurge on it, even though navy doesn't really go in my kitchen. (However, this one and this one would. I think they would look awesome framed and hung together. Maybe I could do that with the knots one and use it in another room until I have my someday-all-white-with-blue-accents kitchen. Problem is, I actually need some tea / dish towels, and these are so much more interesting than your Plain Jane ones.)

* Curious as to the origin of the name tea towel, which I seem to see more of now as opposed to calling it a kitchen or dish towel (yes, I actually think about these things), I found this on Wikipedia:

In 18th century England, a tea towel was a special linen drying cloth used by the mistress of the house to dry her precious and expensive china tea things. Servants were considered too ham-fisted to be trusted with such a delicate job, although housemaids were charged with hand-hemming the woven linen when their main duties were completed. Mass-produced tea towels were produced during the Industrial Revolution. Today pictorial tea towels make charming and collectible souvenirs.
What pictorial tea towel do you use to dry your precious and expensive china tea things?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Ham-fisted"??? That term is just too funny. On the rare occasions that I use my "fine" china, it's subject to my regular ole Crate & Barrel dish towels!