Sunday, December 7, 2008

"My, this is a refreshing way to get loaded"

Happy (belated) Repeal Day! In honor of this, I wanted to share my new favorite cocktail: the Stoli Doli. Introduced to me during my trip to Boston, I had to wonder where it's been all of my adult-drinking life.

It tasted just like fresh pineapple (my favorite fruit, btw), albeit a nice, loosening-up, happy, let's-dance-on-the-bar pineapple. Vodka with pineapple juice will never be the same; I've been ruined forever.

The ingredients are simple:
1 fresh pineapple, cut into pieces
1 (750 milliliter) bottle good quality vodka (I'll try Stoli first for authenticity)

The directions are simple:
Place the pineapple pieces into a large container, and pour the vodka over them. Cover, and refrigerate for 5 to 7 days. Strain out pineapple, and serve vodka over ice with a pineapple garnish.

Oh, yum! I need a cute container like this:


Z Gallerie, on sale for $35

Dear Santa: Please bring me one of these so mama can infuse her vodka in style.


Apparently the Capital Grille has made the drink famous, so we will be hitting it up for an upscale happy hour one evening so I can get my fix.

Winner of the Dallas Observer's Best Cocktail:
Understand something: The best cocktail isn't necessarily the one we drink
every night. Then the winner in this category would be "Whatever alcohol is
brown, in our cupboard and you can pour over ice." No, this category is reserved
for the sort of drink that men and women can consume and say to themselves, "My,
this is a refreshing way to get loaded." With that being the criterion, the
winner is clearly the Stoli Doli at C-Grille. On the bar you will see a huge
container filled with "jet-fresh" (meaning they're flown in the day they're
picked, or somesuch) Dole pineapples, to which is added many, many fluid ounces
of Stoli vodka. This marinates for five to seven days. The resulting nectar is
served chilled in a cocktail glass or, if you prefer (as we do), in a tumbler on
the rocks. Especially in the summer, but at all times of the year, this is a
killer cocktail.

1 comment:

GrannySmithGreen said...

My goodness this sounds like tasty drink. Fresh pineapple, anyway is so delicious!