Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I'm on a Seafood Diet

...I see food, I eat it. (True, but this post really is about seafood. Note to self: standard New Year's diet starts Friday.)

Seafood, I love you so. I am so glad I have gotten to eat a lot of you lately.

Case in Point #1
On Christmas Eve, we were supposed to go to a get-together at my BIL and SIL's that was for her side of the family. (J's family had already done Christmas the week before since most of the siblings were going out of town for Christmas.) We set out, White Elephant gifts purchased in a mad dash that day all wrapped up in the backseat, but the roads were just so bad that we turned around.
You see, Dallas was having its first ever Christmas Eve snowfall, that while gorgeous, was horrible for driving since Texans don't know how to drive in snow and there was no sand down. (Or is it salt? See how much this Southerner knows?).
Instead, we went to the grocery store and bought 2 lbs. (!) of King Crab (!!) on sale (!!!), some quick veggie sides, champagne, and pomegranate sorbet. With visions of crab dipped in warm butter dancing in our heads (or at least my head, I love me some butter), we started to drive the two blocks back to our house when, driving downhill to a stop sign, our car would not stop and went straight into oncoming traffic on a busy road.
Thankfully (and maybe thanks to a little prayer I said the first time we set out that evening), both the cars in each of the lanes managed not to hit us. (As a side note, J's parents did go to the party, and had an even scarier experience sliding across 5 lanes on the highway, where luckily no one was around and they were fine.) That was my Christmas miracle.


So we gratefully made it home in one piece and enjoyed the most scrumptious meal, just James, me, and the pup. It was a great Christmas Eve, even if for the first time ever we didn't spend it with some family, and even though we didn't make it out for Midnight Mass, which I'm still bummed about.

Case in Point #2
Last night we went to a newly reopened restaurant on the island (hurricane damage), where we brought in some redfish that my FIL caught with a family friend as well as some fresh squid. They whipped up these off-the-menu items for us:

Calamari
You can't tell the size from the photo, but this is 1 of 2 huuuuge platters


Redfish Enchiladas
Redfish blackened and rolled in corn tortillas and covered with a cilantro cream sauce, cheese, and crumbled redfish, served with especially-yummy avocado and more blackened redfish


Since there were only 7 seafood-eaters there, we have a ton of leftovers. Can't wait to break this out again tonight!
What about you? Had any delicious meals lately? Or any close car accident calls?
Also, do you dislike the phrase "om nom nom nom" as much as I do? I feel like I see it used any time I read a blog post involving food, and for some reason, it just bothers me.

No comments: